Working with us: responsible investment policy
BlueGem II LP invests in companies that have strong growth potential and/or companies that have been under-managed, undervalued or under-invested with the aim of building stronger, more profitable and more cash flow generative businesses.
BlueGem has an entrepreneurial approach to portfolio management acting as a hands-on partner in the value creation process. We have a proven track record of building successful partnerships with entrepreneurs, family-owned businesses, other private equity firms and outstanding management teams.
“BlueGem believes in the principle that morality is longevity.”
We have always considered ourselves to be a responsible investor. Our priority sectors are retail and brands – customer-facing sectors in which sound management of environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues is not only the right thing to do, but is critical to protecting and creating value for companies and our investors. For our investments, examples of material ESG impacts could include:
- Environment – energy efficiency, waste management and packaging;
- Social – labour standards in the supply chain, health and safety, and training and development of staff; and,
- Governance – business conduct, and anti-bribery and corruption.
Where we have a controlling interest in a company, there is a real opportunity, and a responsibility, to make a positive difference. The purpose of this policy is to begin to formalise our commitment and approach to responsible investment in order to ensure ESG issues are actively managed as a senior partner priority at BlueGem, and to encourage Board level engagement and ownership for corporate responsibility issues at our portfolio companies. This is, rightly, a long-term commitment and we recognise that we are in the early stages of formalising our approach.
Our policy is, to the best of our ability, to:
- Comply with all relevant regulations, at BlueGem and at our portfolio companies, in the countries in which we operate;
- Manage and minimise our own direct ESG impacts;
- Integrate ESG considerations into all stages of the deal cycle – from due diligence throughout the period of our ownership, and at exit;
- Encourage portfolio companies to consider and address all ESG issues relevant to their business, with the aim of delivering continuous improvement; and
- Track and report progress of ESG initiatives at portfolio companies.
BlueGem are a signatory to the United Nations Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI), and incorporate environmental, social and governance principles into our investment analysis, decision-making and ownership practices.